Girlwriting

Girlwriting

Tuesday 17 March 2015

Cold Calls

The telephone rings - is it a friend?
Or will my excitement very quickly descend
As I realise again that it's just one of those
Whose opening greeting so frequently goes
In a voice that is chatty and breezily clear,
"Is that Mrs. X?   It's Jennifer here.",
And then she goes on as she reads through her script;
I listen as minute by minute I'm gripped
By a feeling her charm's just an act she assumes
As the thought of commission within her brain looms.
Whatever she's selling, I don't want to know,
And whenever she pauses, try telling her so.
Double glazing, new roof, and accident claim,
Whatever the subject, the motive's the same;
They just want my money, and hope I will say
"Yes," to their offer, instead of "No way."

No comments:

Post a Comment