Girlwriting

Girlwriting

Friday 29 May 2015

The Reluctant Worker

Getting up in the morning is often a bore,
From Monday to Friday, when I am quite sure
My days will seem endless, always dragging along,
Stuck in a world where I hardly belong.
I work to earn money and all that it brings -
The chance to get out and enjoy other things.
Leisurely rambles or hiking up hills,
Exploring lush meadows and old water mills.
Gallery visits which tempt one to start
Going to lectures to learn about art.
Painting and sketching on warm summer days,
The distance a blur in a bluish-grey haze.
Browsing in bookshops for new things to read;
Sitting in parks throwing small birds fresh seed;
Writing new poems and stories and plays,
Carefully considering each word and phrase.
Happily swimming in pool or in sea,
Enjoying the feeling I'm utterly free.
Going on train trips, which take me away
To places of interest, to spend the whole day
Just looking around, seeking all that is new -
Most places have plenty to see and to do.
Going to concerts, to films and to plays,
outdoor events with their varied displays.
So Monday to Friday I beaver away,
Earning the money which I hope will pay
For doing the things that I'd really prefer
To spend all my time on but have to defer
To weekends and holidays when I am free
To spend all my time on just what pleases me.

No comments:

Post a Comment