Girlwriting

Girlwriting

Tuesday 29 March 2016

Mobile Phones

They really are a great idea, so all can stay in touch,
Whether they are rarely home or do not go out much.
They give their owners freedom to make calls from any place,
Instead of ringing just from home, or meeting face to face.
But often they take over, used for endless idle chat:
“I’m going into Tesco and to Savers after that.”
“I’m standing at a bus-stop, and I’m waiting for a bus.”
“The meal was just so awful that I should have made a fuss.”
“I think it’s trying hard to rain; I hope I don’t get wet;”
“My neighbour’s cat is ill again, and gone off to the vet.”
“I really like the shoes I bought, and hope to wear them soon,”
“The woman at the check-out has a face just like a prune;”
Nothing there that’s urgent or which couldn’t wait a while,
But never-ending chatter’s now a part of the modern style.
At dinner people keep their phones in sight beside their plate,
As if expecting messages that really couldn’t wait.
They answer them when chatting to their friends without a thought,
Ignoring any manners that they once may have been taught.
They check them all the time to see if anyone has left
A text or other message; if there’s none they feel bereft.
It doesn’t matter where they are, they always feel the need
To be in touch with all the world, which nothing must impede.
They’re usually talking all the time while walking down the street,
Oblivious to anyone they know that  they might meet.
So though they have their uses, mobile phones can be a curse,
Making many people feel there’s really nothing worse
Than not being constantly in touch with all their many friends.
For this is where their social life not just begins but ends.
They can’t envisage friendships which go on with nothing more
Than memories of happy times which they have had before.

No comments:

Post a Comment