Girlwriting

Girlwriting

Tuesday 20 December 2016

A Modern Day Vicar of Bray



In seventy, when Health took charge,
EU was just UK writ large;
I favoured it like all the rest
Of Heath supporters, as the best
Way to move and join the crowd;
To be a Tory made me proud.

When Harold Wilson came along,
I sang a very different song;
Now Labour was the one for me,
And surely everyone could see                   
How good they were, right from the start –
They had the people’s needs at heart.

Things changed in Maggie Thatcher’s time –
I thought the Tories were sublime;
Everything they sought to do
Was in accord with my own view.
She was a hero in my sight,
And everything she did was right.

When Tony Blair came through the door
I knew the party to adore;
New Labour was the future way –
My fervour for them grew each day.
The other parties were the past -
New Labour had arrived at last.

But times can change, and governments too,
And twenty ten brought into view
Cameron’s Tories; along with them
The party of Nick Clegg – Lib Dem.
Coalitions, I now saw,
Were something we could do with more.

But then, of course, things changed again,
As were elected different men;
The Lib Dems almost ceased to be –
Of coalitions we were free.
I was a Tory, staunch and true,
Nothing else except true blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment