Girlwriting

Girlwriting

Wednesday 23 December 2015

Growing Older

The time has come when I'm seventy-five,
And still delighted to be be alive;
My full-time job means I'm working until
It's five every day, with no time to be ill
or feel depressed or lonely or sad,
Though at the end of the day I'm glad
To put on my coat and fly through the door
Happy I don't have to work any more.
But working ensure that I can afford
To enjoy all my leisure and never be bored.
There're plays to see and I always seek
Something that's interesting every week.
And if there's no play that I want to see
There're plenty of cinemas close to me,
With maybe a film, either classic or new,
Which I one evening would like to view.
Then there are concerts, with so much choice,
Reflecting the range of the human voice.
New exhibitions and lectures which might
Give me a further or greater insight
Into those topics which often I find
Tend to contribute to broaden my mind
And then, of course, there's the active part
Of lives like mine, where for a start,
I can join a choir and happily sing,
With all the enjoyment that that will bring.
Or go on some walks in the countryside,
On my own or a group with a guide.
Row on the ponds in a smallish boat,
That I can hopefully keep afloat.
There are plenty of classes if I have a yen
To learn something new, from art through to zen.
Perhaps ballroom dancing to keep myself fit,
Or a social club where they gather to knit.
There's tennis and netball and swimming of course,
Or I can spend time in the park on a horse.
Being seventy-five doesn't mean life is past,
For what is available's definitely vast,
And if you're determined you're going to build
A life where your days always tend to be filled
With interesting things which will keep you alert
And from this intention you never divert,
Then life can be fun, whatever they say,
With much to look forward to each single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment