Girlwriting

Girlwriting

Thursday 29 October 2015

Poppy Selling

I take my poppies and empty tin,
With my handy tray to put them in;
Think of the time and then select
The place where I feel it's best to collect.
Sign myself in and choose my spot,
The one where I think I will sell a lot.
Twirl a poppy in the air,
With all an experienced seller's flair,
For this very simple act
People's notice will attract.
Smile a lot and be polite,
Always looking nice and bright.
Most people will just hurry by
And none could hope to catch their eye.
Others have a bit more time,
But giving doesn't with them chime.
Others, and sometimes the most
Are just so totally engrossed
In texting, they are unaware
That there are other people there.
Glazed eyes are such a common sight
And ear phones also help to blight,
Awareness of the world around,
Cut off from all external sound.
Then one stops, and I promptly say
The cost of all that's in my tray,
Hoping that they'll buy a pin,
And put more money in my tin.
Some are generous, some are mean,
But most lie somewhere in between.
Some think that everything is free,
While others offer just five pee,
Most however give a pound;
Occasionally there comes around
Someone who puts in much, much more,
The sort or client I adore.
For notes weigh nothing, and my tin
Gets heavier as each coin goes in.
I have no finish time as such,
But when my tin weighs far too much
I close my tray and then sign out,
Though I'll be back next day no doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment